Friday, October 23, 2009

Cat Who Lost Game Of Checkers ‘Sequestered And Hiding’ After Tragic Defeat


Edmonds, WA

A local cat is reportedly ‘so devastated’ after losing at checkers last week that she has retreated to her Edmonds-area home, leaving friends and family scrambling to help.

Tiny Dancer, a 5-year-old, spayed, Domestic Short Hair, is being comforted by loved ones after losing seven straight games of checkers to an 11-year-old Human on the internet.

Reportedly, Tiny Dancer was eating a day-old apple fritter and drinking coffee in her study. She was deeply involved with her game when she was ‘kinged’ by the internet player and subsequently lost the game. Family members said that Tiny Dancer had been found unconscious on the floor, still gripping the fritter.


Cowlick said Tiny Dancer used this board before moving on to internet checkers

A family insider said "Everyone is devastated. It's not clear what's happened to Tiny Dancer yet, but it looks like she lost six or seven games in a row. We won't really know until she comes clean about it."

Neighbor Cowlick, a 3-year-old, spayed, Domestic Long Hair said, "As soon as Tiny lost that last game she just couldn‘t take it any more, she wanted to be with her family. The losses were such a shock. She is devastated."

Tiny Dancer grew up in Stoneham, Massachusetts with a sister, and later moved to Edmonds where the two now run a successful German delicatessen. She also occasionally plays internet chess.


Tiny Dancer loves to play internet checkers and read the Kitty City Gazette

In a statement to the Gazette, Tiny Dancer said "I am devastated by this (loss at checkers). This loss comes on the heels of the death of my beloved goldfish, Ralph, and with both of these things happening at once, my heart is heavy with grief.”

Experts say that when a loved one loses at checkers, the feeling of grief can be devastating and intensely overwhelming. For some cats, the only consolation is to know that the loss is not a personal reflection, but a random event that could not have been prevented.

In light of the recent tragic loss, neighbor Cowlick said she wishes she could have done something to help.


Friends tried to get Tiny Dancer to play other games, but she “couldn’t even look” at the checker-like pieces

"I had spoken to Tiny Dancer two hours before I got the call that she’d lost at checkers. Never in a thousand years did I think it was going to happen,” said Cowlick. “There are so many things that I should have said to her strategy-wise, but now it's too late.”

Another source mourned, “She‘s been grieving way too long. I tried to get her to play Connect Four, but she couldn’t even look at or stand the sight of the checkers. She’ll make it, but it’s going to be hard.”

Copyright Sharyn Thoma
Tiny Dancer Photos: Thanks to Julie O'Connell
Grumman (as Tiny Dancer): Thanks to Forrest Scott Wood
Cowlick Photos: Thanks to Jarrod Wishman

13 comments:

Queen B said...

Hi Sharyn! My name is Zeus and I want to thank you for the comment you left on the blog and also, this chess story is really funny. My mommy is trying to teach me how to play monopoly but I kept scratching the board so its not working out so well. :)

Anonymous said...

Jeezuz this site is killing me. Love the story about the cat who farted at Walgreen's the best.

Anonymous said...

I have this site bookmarked because it is just absolutely hilarious!

I have no clue where this lady gets this stuff from, but she is SOOOO creative - check it out, have fun, and I hope you laugh out loud just like I do - Enjoy!

Kitty City Fanz said...

had to share these comments for you i saw posted off a site called TheCatSite...

--Loved the murdered lollipop one!

---"cat says he lived in fear after farting in crowded elevator"

--One after another.... where does she take this stuff from?? too funny!

--Thank you, this was the pick me up I needed

--Yay for entertainment to read at work!

people dig your work! KEEP IT GOING!!! :) SMILES & TAILS

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

We'z getting tired of mom spitting stuff thru her nose and den laffing til she can't breeth. Stop it Sharyn, pleeze.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Grumman here. I have had the pleasure of meeting Tiny Dancer through the internet - the HANDICATS2 Yahoo Group for handicapped cats and their people.

Tiny Dancer has Radial Hypoplasia, which is a genetic deformity of what would be the forearm in you humans.

But T.D. never lets that get in the way of a great game of checkers!

We had some great games: but, now I'm thinking of taking up kite flying. Got this really nice delta with carbon fibre spars and . . . oh look, T.D., string!

WATERBABY CHRISTINE said...

This is too tragic. Friends and family should be on the lookout for signs that poor Tiny Dancer has found a substitute for the checkers. By all means put a lock on that that computer, but also check the trash for ripped up lottery tickets, horse-racing forms, multiple empty peanut butter jars. One addiction is often substituted for another. If the signs are there, by all means contact your local CADS chapter (Cats with Addictive Disorders). An intervention may be indicated.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooooh man. This is dang dang damn fun.

glogirly said...

Hi Sharyn,
LOVED the story! It's going to make me giggle all day. You are absolutely the BEST. My cat Katie is going to be all over me now about learning checkers. I'm not sure she can be trusted. And chess? Well forget about it.

Debbie
a.k.a. Glogirly

Ginger Jasper said...

I just have to say again.. Your imagination is brilliant.. Fabulous.. Thanks for the award.. Hugs GJ xx

Noll's Nip said...

Another good one!

Julie said...

Awwwwwww, that's actually my Tiny Dancer (well, I'm his, actually), and when I took that picture I had no IDEA about the whole Checkers scenario. Rest assured, I'll be very gentle with his well-being and work gently with him. We'll get through this, Tiny Dancer and I.
:o)

Julie O'

Julie said...

TD here (That's TINY DANCER to you, Gwuuman!) My mommy said not to pway wit stwing coz it make my intestines twisty like my foawms.

Mommy gave me wots of wuv, bwushed me and sed "You can only do the best you can do, and that's the best you can do), and dats whut I deeud, so I no want play wit stwing; maebee yoo want me have twisty testines?

I fewul much bettooh now and, like mommy says 'bout me, "I can do anything yoo can doo, but bettuh! So thewa!

I stand tall (on my hiney wegs, too!! and can wok, wook awound, jump higher den anybudy 'cause my condishun makes my back wegs vewy, vewy stwong. I wuse skwatcher too!

When I fight with nu guy here, Chief Joseph, 'cause he's noo and yoo supposed to doo dat when somwunz noo, I stand up and my awms go like a boxer and I hiss just wike a Wocky Stawone! I stwong and I get twu dis wit my mommy.

I am TD, hear me woahr!!!!
WOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOaaahr

Tiny Dancer